HOW MANY DAYS DO YOU KEEP PREVIOUS TENANT'S BELONGINGS WHEN LEFT BEHIND? IT DEPENDS
I have many property owners call me on a monthly basis asking me "How long do I have to keep one's possessions after they have vacated the property?This is an excellent questions for anybody managing their own properties because there are a couple different answers when it comes to Phoenix Property Management. I have seen tenants leave possessions behind to only catch the inexperienced real estate investor hauled into court because they have failed to give proper notice of possessions left behind. Hire Phoenix Property Management to manage your homes located in the Phoenix, Arizona, surrounding area so we can handle complex situations such as this one to avoid future penalties for being an inexperienced property owner.
HERE ARE THE TWO DIFFERENT SCENARIOS LISTED BELOW:
ABANDONMENT/SKIP OR PROPERTY LEFT AFTER VACATING
- Inventory property and send a copy of the inventory list along with a 10-DAY LOCATION OF ABANDONED PROPERTY notice to the last known address by certified mai.
Hold the property for ten (10) calendar days – allowing the tenant one (1) entry to remove personal effects (medicine, tools, clothes, identification, or financial or employment documents, etc.). If the tenant does not pay storage costs for the rest of the property, then the landlord sells at a public sale, retains proceeds to apply to outstanding rent or other costs covered in the lease or allowed by the Landlord/Tenant Act incurred by landlord. Excess proceeds to be mailed to tenants’ last known address.For twelve (12) months, keep records and hold excess proceeds if undeliverable.
- – OR – If provided for in a written rental agreement, the landlord may destroy or otherwise dispose of some or all of the property if the landlord determines that the value of the property is so low that the cost of moving and storage and conducting a public sale exceeds the amount that would be realized from the sale.
WRIT OF RESTITUTION (CONSTABLE ENFORCED LOCK-OUT)
- Inventory property and send a copy of the inventory list along with a 21-DAY PROPERTY NOTIFICATION AFTER COURT LOCK-OUT notice to last known address and any alternate address, certified mail, return receipt requested.
- Tenant allowed one (1) entry during the twenty-one day (21) period to remove personal effects (medicine, tools, necessary papers and clothes, etc.) Otherwise, to reclaim property, tenant must pay reasonable costs of storage, moving and inventory.
- If tenant does not reclaim property, sell/dispose after twenty-one (21) days. If the tenant contacts the landlord before the items are disposed of, add an additional five (5) days time. Tenant is allowed one (1) entry to remove personal effects (as listed above). If tenant does not pay storage costs for remainder of property, then the landlord sells the property at public sale, retains proceeds to apply to outstanding rent or other costs covered in the lease or allowed by the Landlord/Tenant Act incurred by landlord. Excess proceeds to be mailed to tenants’ last known address.
- For twelve (12) months, keep records and hold excess proceeds if undeliverable.
information provided by www.doctorevictor.com
Phoenix Property Management is here to serve the entire Valley when it comes to property owners and tenants.
Make the Call, Set the Plan, Do the Deal$!
Feel free to listen to my Radio Show to learn more about the phoenix real estate market, new trends, and the latest opportunities. The Real Estate and Beyond Radio Show Airs every Saturday from Noon-2:00pm on Conservative Newstalk KKNT 960am in Phoenix, Arizona. You can listent to past shows, or stream on-line.