This is a great blog post about why we need to support Realtor Associations. We have one voice for our entire country. They say safety is in numbers. Also, the NAR provides qualify information for us to use in our own local real estate market.
Personally, I started a Phoenix Property Management company. I quickly registered with National Association of Residential Property Managers and Instistute of Real Estate Management to obtain instand credibility in my local real estate market. They have monthly meetings which I will attend to network with other professionals on a local, national and international level.
Here is my motto "REAL ESTATE IS A TEAM SPORT." What team are you on?
I’ve read a number of blogs this week bashing the National Association of REATORS® (NAR) along with the state and local counterparts. Many of the comments on these blogs show that REALTORS® to not understand the value of the associations and what they do to protect the industry and the general public.
Full disclosure, I serve on the Board of Directors of our local association and I’m a Sterling R PAC Major Donor.
Most importantly, NAR gives us a single voice with almost a million members behind it. Elected officials take note and do listen to our million-person voice.
While I don’t agree with everything they do, it is a bottom-up driven process with input from the local and state associations. I can’t imagine too many things that a million people would all agree on when it comes to our industry.
Want to know what happens when you lack that large voice? Ask any mortgage loan originator about the Dodd-Frank bill. Dodd-Frank drastically over-regulated their industry, put a cap on their pay, and actually cost the consumer money.
What NAR does at the national level also happens on the state and local levels.
Last Saturday, about 40 of us from the local association attended a 2013 budget meeting in one of our local cities. The city was proposing a rental registration and inspection program for single family rental homes in the city. Because our Government Affairs Committee has developed good relationships with our elected officials, we not only heard about the proposal in its early stage, we were also able to attend the meeting and voice our concerns about it. This resulted in the proposal being removed from the 2013 city budget.
Membership dues are only part of the monies needed to fuel our voice. RPAC and the state PACs need money to operate. In Texas, we ask each REALTOR® to donate $35 to the PAC. We have a state-wide donation rate of about 40 percent. Basically, 60 percent of our REALTORS® get all the benefits without donating. The other 40 percent of us carry them.
I could give you hundreds of examples of the good our associations and the PACs do for the industry and the public. If you’re part of this industry, be thankful that we have a powerful voice in our national, state, and local associations.
REALTOR® Logo Used with Permission
Tom Branch and Gina Branch, The Branch Team with RE/MAX Dallas Suburbs, service the greater North Dallas suburbs including Dallas, Plano, Allen, McKinney, Frisco, Lewisville, and Carrollton. While Gina concentrates on traditional listings and buyer/tenant representation, Tom specializes in assisting distressed homeowners to avoid foreclosure. Tom and Gina have published two books (Achieving Rock Star Status and The Field Guide to Short Sales) and are available for speaking engagements in the greater Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex. Subscribe to The Branch Team Blog.
Copyright 2009-2012 - The Branch Team
The Branch Team - Texas Real Estate Broker 547597 | Team Members are Texas Licensed Real Estate Professionals
Tom Branch - National Mortgage Licensing System 341963
Important Notice: The Branch Team with RE/MAX Dallas Suburbs is not associated with the government, and our service is not approved by the government or your lender. Even if you accept this offer and use our service, your lender may not agree to change your loan. If you stop paying your mortgage, you could lose your home and damage your credit rating.
All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. Properties subject to prior sale or rental.
Make the Call, Set the Plan, Do the Deal$!
Feel free to listen to my Radio Show to learn more about the phoenix real estate market, new trends, and the latest opportunities. The Real Estate and Beyond Radio Show Airs every Saturday from Noon-2:00pm on Conservative Newstalk KKNT 960am in Phoenix, Arizona. You can listent to past shows, or stream on-line.