SHORT SALES BACKED BY THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT

BREAKING NEWSThe U.S. Treasury will soon finalize a plan to expand its incentives for mortgage companies to include "short sales" as a way to stem a rising tide of foreclosures. This is great news for all of us in the real estate field. Many buyers refuse to deal with short sales because of the length of time it takes to close the deal. These deals can take three or more months to close. People do not have the patience to deal with them.

"Short sales," or sales of homes for less than the balance on existing mortgages, are seen as a key way to supplement other efforts such as loan modifications to steady housing. Unlike most modifications, "short sales" eliminate the problem of negative equity that has become a big reason for defaults as home prices have plunged. The incentives, first announced in May, would expand the government's Home Affordable Modification Program that has seen limited success in lowering payments for hundreds of thousands of homeowners deemed eligible. Just 12 percent of homeowners eligible have had their loans reworked, leaving millions more foreclosures to come, the Treasury said on September 9. cited article

The pool of short sales will continue to increase as more and more poeple are falling behind in their payments and equity continues to decrease. We live in some crazy times. It is estimated that only 12% are able to achieve a loan modification. That leaves 88% of the homes going into foreclosure. Foreclosures continue to be strong in many part of America.

ARIZONA SHORT SALESBanks will have incentives to agree to a short sale to offset the expense of foreclosing on the property. The Treasury would give banks a $1,000 incentive for agreeing to a short sale and showing proceeds as full payment. This way it reports better on their credit report. Furthermore, banks will receive $1,000 incentive when accepting deed-in-lieu to avoid foreclosing on the property. The deed is immediately transferred to the bank for a small cost. Finally, buyers would be eligible to up to $1,500 in closing costs when purchasing short sales. 
 
This does not seem like enough incentive for banks to hop on the band wagon with these low incentives offered by the Treasury Department. Again, I believe in letting the market correct itself.

Let me know your thoughts on this Short Sale Topic.  

The Real Estate and Beyond Team is ready to help all distressed property owners during this rough economic times. Please visit www.960realestate.com for more information.

Make the Call, Set the Plan, Do the Deal$!

Feel free to listen to my Radio Show to learn more about the phoenix real estate market, new trends, and the latest opportunities.  The Real Estate and Beyond Radio Show Airs every Saturday from Noon-2:00pm on Conservative Newstalk KKNT 960am in Phoenix, Arizona.  You can listent to past shows, or stream on-line.

 

Phoenix Real Estate Resource Center

 

Follow Me On:  facebook profile  twitter profile   linked in profile  rss fee for blog                                     

Comment balloon 8 commentsHarry F. D'Elia • October 07 2009 06:46PM
SHORT SALES BACKED BY THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT
share
The U. S. Treasury will soon finalize a plan to expand its incentives for mortgage companies to include "short sales" as a way to stem a rising tide of foreclosures. This is great news for all of us in the real estate field. Many buyers… more
OBTAIN LISTINGS BY VISITING GARAGE SALES
share
GARAGE SALE CREATES A LEAD It is that time of year again. I am starting to see garage sale signs all over the Phoenix area. How many people love garage sales? Personally, my wife and I have a garage sale one time per year in… more
TOP 10 THINGS TO BE PROACTIVE FOR FORECLOSURE STORM
share
I have been reading for the last couple of months of ActiveRain members writing about what is coming ahead of us. We all know we are in the middle of the storm. How long will it last? I do not know how long this storm will last. However, I do… more
SHORT SALES ARE A WASTE OF TIME
share
Do you think short sal es are a waste of time? I have been in the Arizona real estate market for the past seven years. I have seen it all in the last seven years. Personally, I stay six months ahead of the real estate curve. Why? A real… more
NIELSEN RATINGS HITTING SOCIAL MEDIA WITH FACEBOOK
share
and Facebook has entered into an agreement with the ratings measurement company Nielsen Company. The main purpose of this venture is to develop a system where companies can better understand when advertising on social media sites. Plus,… more
OBTAIN FULL MARKET VALUE LISTING YOUR HOME ON A LEASE OPTION
share
Foreclosures continue to dominate the real estate market. Do you ever think what happens to a person after they have been foreclosed on? They have to live somewhere else. I receive phone calls on a daily basis from people looking for lease… more